After Company Formation

Frequently Asked Questions

As soon as Companies House approves your company formation application, we will send you an email with PDF copies of your incorporation documents. If you order paper copies of these documents, or they are included with your registration package, we will post these out to you within 24 hours.

Your documents are very important and you will need them on a number of occasions after setting up your new company. You should keep the paper copies in a secure location on the premises of your organisation. The directors are responsible for the safekeeping of all company documents.

You can make changes to your company at any time after incorporation but you must report any changes to Companies House as soon as possible. You can do this free of charge using our Online Admin Portal or via Companies House WebFiling.

Yes, you can change your registered office at any time after setting up your company, as long as your new address is in the same UK jurisdiction as your existing registered office. You can change your registered office address free of charge using our Online Admin Portal or via Companies House WebFiling.

Yes, you must inform Companies House when any changes are made to your company (e.g. changes to registered office address and company officers), and where relevant you must also inform HMRC.

Changes can be made free of charge by using our online admin portal. Most changes do not incur a filing fee from Companies House, with the exception of company name changes.

Shares can be transferred at any time after company formation, and you may also increase your company’s share capital by issuing more shares. Both of these actions require the approval of the director. There is no restriction to the total quantity of shares a company can issue, unless the articles of association contain a provision of authorised share capital.

It can be closed in a number of ways. If your company is solvent, you may apply to get it struck off the Companies Register or you can start a members’ voluntary liquidation. If it is insolvent, it can be closed by the creditors’ voluntary liquidation process.

Unless your company is dormant (inactive), its name must be displayed in a number of places at all times, such as:

  • The registered office address and any location where the business operates
  • All company letters, electronic correspondence, invoices and notices
  • All company websites and publicity documents

Strictly speaking, the answer is no; however, in practice it will be nearly impossible to run a trading company without a business bank account. Also, a separate account allows for clear distinction between company finances and the personal finances of its members.